These sets of Study Group Readings are available as MP3 files or e-transcript.
Scroll down for the list of questions or click on "edit," "find," in your browser to find a specific word on the page.
Subscribe to the Study Group Readings by CD, transcript, e-transcript or MP3 files.
Please note that these early recordings (1987 through 2001) were made on cassette tape and later transferred to digital format. The sound quality is not always as good as the later years.
STUDY GROUP READING #109
1. Would you please give us an overview, from the spiritual point of view, of what humanity accomplished in 1995?
Several of our Study Group members lost beloved parents this year. They have sent in a couple of questions pertaining to their parents’ death:
2. One of the Study Group members whose father recently died asks, is grieving deeply for a long time after the loss of a loved one a way of feeling connected to the deceased loved one. If someone isn’t able to heal their fear, or doesn’t have a way to feel strongly the eternal connection with their deceased loved one, is holding on to their grief their way of maintaining the feeling of being close? Can you comment on this as it relates to the process of grieving for a deeply loved one, and tell us how we might transfer the sense of connectedness through the feelings of loss to a more joyful connection with their soul?
3. Kay’s mother made her transition in April of 1995. In November, her mother appeared before Kay’s father, young and happy. She smiled and floated by. He was sitting in the living room, fully awake. Kay understands that her mother appeared to comfort and reassure her father that she is not "dead." The question is, "what" appeared? Her Soul? Her personality?
4. Some people compare themselves to spiritual teachers, and, seeing the powers of the teachers, believe that those teachers are more evolved than they are. And yet, many of us have been spiritual teachers in earlier lives, and probably manifested equally inspiring abilities. Are we evolving linearly, with each lifetime being greater than the last, or are we perfecting holistically with some lifetimes seemingly more evolved than others, but with no single lifetime giving us a measure of how spiritually evolved we are?
5. A lot of people today are interested in healing through both spiritual and psychological means. Many people are very interested in the mind-body connection, and mainstream science is beginning to recognize how stress can affect our immune system functioning. One healing phenomena that science has never been able to really explain is the placebo effect, where people will take sugar pills and become healed. Some studies have shown that even when people know that they are taking sugar pills, many of them are still healed, even of serious diseases. Please tell us how the placebo effect works to heal the human body and how it relates to spiritual and emotional healing.
6. In the past life research literature, it is reported that a lot of people who died in the 30’s and 40’s in the Holocaust reincarnated quite rapidly. There is a wonderful quote from the Kabala that says, "Sometimes the souls of pious Jews pass by metempsychosis (rebirth) into Gentiles, in order that they may plead on behalf of Israel and treat them kindly." Does this happen between races, religions and so forth in order that people might gain a greater empathy for one another?
7. So there’s not a need by the soul then to experience different cultural groups or races to have an understanding of all of them?
8. Please close with an attunement for us to use this first month of 1996.
STUDY GROUP READING #110
STUDY GROUP READING #115
1. Is there a value in studying ancient texts to gain current spiritual knowledge? Or, is the information pertinent mainly to the times they were written?
2. As technology advances more and more, many scientists have been concentrating on creating artificial intelligence in computers, that is, computers that can think for themselves, that appear to be aware of themselves as they think, and appear to have personalities and self awareness. Is it possible for a machine to every truly be aware of itself, to ever truly have a consciousness? Or, does it require the presence of a soul in a being before any kind of being can truly be self aware, can truly be said to have a sense of being itself, and have a consciousness of itself?
3. Is there a method by which we can find deeper meaning in the things that happen to our bodies? For example, how can we personally figure out what it means in relation to lessons we may be learning if we break our arm, or get the flu, or some other illness?
4. Would you talk about sudden infant death syndrome, or SIDS? Understanding that there are individual reasons for this taking place, what spiritual insights can you give us as to why a seemingly healthy baby would die suddenly? If there are lessons to be learned, they seem very cruel indeed.
5. It can be frustrating to hear and read about our true unlimited capabilities that we have forgotten as we enter the physical plane. How can we make practical use of our true unlimited capabilities? What purpose is served in knowing of the existence of these capabilities of the human mind, soul, and spirit when so few people, if any, can actually make use of them?
6. It was said that Abraham Lincoln had a prophetic dream that he would be assassinated. This dream took place three days before he was assassinated. What is the purpose of such a dream when it obviously did not prevent his assassination?
7. Please close with an attunement for us to use this month?